Monday, April 26, 2010

The giant of a man barely managed to fit through the small doorway as he nodded and spoke, "Whas up?" He shimmied sideways and ducked his oversize head and waist simultaneously as he entered the cedar lined room where I had the temperature set on high. Having lived in SEC country for the past 10 years, my experience told me that the 340 pound specimen painted with colorful tattoos was somebody. I considered how anyone could knock a guy this big to the ground...it would be a great fall indeed.

After we jawed a bit about Donavan McNabb's trade possibilities and the crazed Philly fans, I discovered where to get the best Philly/cheese sandwich should I ever visit Pennsylvania. Now that we got NFL football and food out of the way the conversation shifted toward family. I was no longer as nervous in the presence of a zillionaire over twice my size, though he was gentle in spirit. He even addressed me as "sir"! He talked about his mom and her bravery in raising three boys with a combined weight of half a ton without a father in the home. He proudly spoke of caring for his mother now that he's big-time and the big ole house he bought for her out in West Little Rock.

"Whachoo do for a living?", he asked. I told him I was in the construction business, that I am a home builder. He asked what kind. I told him I was into both new construction and a lot of remodel work. I told him it matters what foundation you build on. He agreed and asked more questions. I told him that I'm a home builder in the spiritual sense and that everyone must choose wisely when considering the materials of their foundation. I became real gutsy and spoke about how the foolish man builds his house on the sand. (inside I was fearful that he might own a beachfront home somewhere and what if I just challenged his smarts, oh crap!)

Then he asked if I would consider mentoring he and his fiancé. He said they attended pre-marital counseling in Philly but they didn't like the counselor. I told him that I would be glad to meet with the two of them but that he needed to understand that I recommend only one type of construction material to use. With full confidence I shared with him that ONLY ONE foundation will work and that you must build on the rock of Jesus Christ. I recited Psalm 127:1, Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it.

I had his attention. He requested a business card. We shook hands. He said he would call me. It's been six weeks and I have never heard from him. I have prayed for him a couple times. Could it be that when you have zillions of dollars you're more likely to build your home like a foolish man? After all, you can afford any material you want but maybe you're somewhat blinded from choosing the best, I don't know. Jesus did say that it would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. (Matt.19:24)

Then Jesus spoke one his great parables...Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell--and great was its fall. (Matt.25-27)

Could it be that the giant Eagle will think twice about what materials to build upon? I hope so. He has his childhood to remind him of how the winds blew and how their house fell. I pray God used me in some small way to turn his heart toward Jesus, the rock of our salvation. To learn more about this giant of a man go to: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2834

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Rob,
This is an excellent piece. Living 45 minutes outside of Philly, I would love to hear more about this story. I loved how you subtly shared how you are in the "home improvement business" and then later shared where your foundation lies. Good stuff. I'll be praying that the Holy Spirit convicts this "Big Guy" to give you a call. I'm sure it would change his life.

Followers