Sunday, April 4, 2010

Saturday April 3rd, 2010 Apple's iPad went on sale across the country drawing long lines and crowds of frenzied people much like when the iPhone debuted in 2007. Many lined up outside stores waiting to get their hands on an iPad, staking out the middle ground between smart phones and laptop computers. Price starts at $499. Expected sales for first year may top 7.1 million globally according to ISupply Corp.



When I read about the frenzy and "need" for a person to get their hands on an iPad I am reminded of the Haitian fellow that visited a family in Texas for an entire summer. When it was time to go back to Haiti a member of the host family asked him if it was going to be difficult leaving America. The young man replied, "I am looking forward to going home. I've been distracted from loving my God during my time here. Americans have many distractions and idols that compete for time with the Lord. I need to go home."

In his book Soul Talk, Larry Crabb describes the story of a man who was extremely ill and while laying on his near death bed in the hospital he longed to be healthy and with his wife. He longed to be back in his business suit going off to work. He longed to be healthy like the people outside of his window sipping lattes at a local Starbucks. One night while suffering intense pain of the over sized cyst the man experienced the presence of God. He called it a miracle. In that moment he realized something very clear. All he really longed for was more of God. That life is all about knowing God. "It's all about him and me, him and you, and you and me in him". Knowing God is what we all want more than anything else. Our hearts are simply clouded by all the good gifts from God that we think we long for. What each of us really long for is more of Him.

I know that I long to touch God and sense his presence in my life on a daily basis. But I also know that my heart wants to stray and desires the next best gadget or the next best experience or the next best vacation. My ten year old car tells my heart each and everyday that it wants to be replaced and my mind gives way to occupying thoughts of the next contraption that simply gets me from point A to point B. If I really long for more of God, he promises to make himself new to me each day. The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases. Why does my heart long for what never satisfies? His mercies never come to an end. My gadgets always find their way to the recycle bin. His mercies are new every morning. The LORD is my portion says my soul therefore I will hope in him. I long to touch him daily therefore I desire an iTouch with the living God more than I long for an iPad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SWEET....!!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome insight. Loved your last line.

Followers